Mediatonic is looking for a Character Artist to join the team. This role will primarily focus on building characters.
As a Character Artist your primary role is to produce the character art assets that help the Art Leads, Creative Director and Studio Art Director realise their vision. You will proactively contribute towards the improvement of character art pipelines in the studio and work closely with other artistic disciplines within the studio to ensure best practices and technical standards are met. You will need to be creatively flexible, adapting styles as necessary, typically during the exploratory stages of pre-production and when moving between projects. You will also be required to create, and quality assure that in-game assets adhere to technical briefs. You will track your time and report your progress/risks/issues daily, or at the point of identification.
- You will use your artistic judgement to produce high quality character art for the game with excellent textures
- In some cases, you will follow existing detailed concept art, in other cases you will create characters from scratch that match the general art direction.
- You will work closely with artistic leadership to create memorable characters.
- Ensure that the technical implementation of character assets matches the projects style guide.
- At least one year of professional games industry experience working as a character artist
- A portfolio demonstrating your previous character work in the games industry
- Experience with and appreciation for casual game aesthetic
- Expert knowledge of industry standard software such as Maya, Photoshop, ZBrush and Substance Painter
- Advanced knowledge of Unity
- Experience with source control and issue tracking (Jira or equivalent)
- Ability to work efficiently as part of a team and to communicate well
- An exceptional eye for detail and quality, with a deep understanding of the game development cycle
- A passion for playing and making games!
What we're looking for
Are you interested in joining a business who strive to create moments that matter, for millions of players, in games that run for years? Does the idea of working together with a friendly team of Tonics towards the common goal appeal to you?
As a creative business, we recognise that creativity is best inspired by different experiences and perspectives and we strive to create a culture of belonging, where all our colleagues feel welcome and diversity is celebrated. As we push towards ever more ambitious and high quality titles, we are looking for the finest talent in the industry to come and join us on our quest.We not only offer you the chance to work with fantastic teams, on awesome and inspiring projects, we also offer competitive salaries, flexible working hours including up to 3 x remote days weekly and private healthcare.
How to apply & really impress us
As a people first company, our biggest priority is to hire the right person. A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about really helps to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd. Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to a full interview. If you are applying for a creative role, remember a portfolio is essential. For all applications we suggest you read the job description carefully and let us know why you believe you’re the right person to take on this job. We look forward to hearing from you.
We receive heaploads of applications, and while we do our best to respond, we can't always guarantee this.