We’re looking for a Software Engineering Manager to join our team of server engineers on one of our largest game teams.
As an Engineering Manager you’re both a hands-on programmer and a great leader of people. You have experience working across multiple teams and have your own opinions on what team structures work at what scale.
You’re not expected to be the strongest engineer in the room - while you feel you can get to the bottom of anything you set your mind to, you delegate, seek advice from your team and represent them and their concerns to stakeholders.
You’re a natural “technical product owner” with a knack for keeping everybody aligned around a problem - you enjoy communicating priorities with your team and stakeholders. Human communication comes naturally to you - you know when it’s time to insist on something yet happily change your views when presented with new information.
You’ll be expected to take on a few direct reports. You’ll work with them to understand their motivations and guide them through their careers at Mediatonic, figuring out what support they need along the way. As you do so you’ll help Mediatonic improve its own career guidance and line management best practises.
- Drive team structure and processes
- Be a first point-of-contact for Server Engineering on the game team
- Encourage end-to-end ownership within the team
- Active involvement in the teams work
- Mentoring engineers
- Reviewing pull requests
- Reviewing technical designs
- Engaging the in-house platform team
- Line management
- Regular catch-ups
- Annual reviews
- Oversee production releases
- Ensure content management systems are correct
- Facilitate the roll-out of new service versions
- Understand the interaction with external systems, such as matchmaking
- Support the player-facing “live ops” team
- Understand requirements and bring improvements in to the backlog
- Represent Mediatonic in external meetings (Unity, XBox, Amazon, etc)
- Working with a Technical Producer, or filling in where there is none, you will:
- Create visibility
- Share upcoming priorities
- Keep the wider production team updated
- Drive milestones and requirements
- Perform backlog reviews
- Share information when work is slipping - making sure production are aware of any struggles or milestones which need renegotiation
- Identify upcoming risks
- High-effort tasks
- Risky / overloaded releases
- Create visibility
- Delivered reliable changes to running, high-scale products
- Evaluated employee performance and dealt with difficult conversations directly
- Motivated teams through growth phases or significant changes
- Opinions on organisational structure
What we're looking for
Want to work for us?
Are you interested in joining a business who strive to create moments that matter, for millions of players, in games that run for years? Does the idea of working together with a friendly team of Tonics towards the common goal appeal to you?
As a creative business, we recognise that creativity is best inspired by different experiences and perspectives and we strive to create a culture of belonging, where all our colleagues feel welcome and diversity is celebrated. As we push towards ever more ambitious and high quality titles, we are looking for the finest talent in the industry to come and join us on our quest.
How to apply & really impress us
As a people first company, our biggest priority is to hire the right person. A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about really helps to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd.
Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to a full interview. If you are applying for a creative role, remember a portfolio is essential. For all applications we suggest you read the job description carefully and let us know why you believe you’re the right person to take on this job. We look forward to hearing from you.
We receive heaploads of applications, and while we do our best to respond, we can't always guarantee this.