- You are responsible for visually establishing, developing and maintaining the game artistic style and visual quality.
- You are a master of the creative process with a good head for game design and an ability to rationalise creative endeavour against production needs/timelines - ensuring the right tasks are tackled in the right order that will best lead to success.
- You will foster good working practices and a positive working environment within your team.
- You will assist Craft Art Leads and sometimes directly line-manage members of the art team, ensuring they are best capable of fulfilling their commitments and are suitably informed through regular interaction and excellent documentation.
- You will use your considerable expertise and experience to guide the wider art team to develop a strong visual identity during pre-production, answering the game design and business ambitions.
- You will work with the Studio Art Director in establishing a game’s art direction and steward the vision through development stages, marketing art and live operations via Style Guides, in-depth documentation and ongoing communication.
- You will assist the Production Team/Leads in scheduling sprints and/or entire projects.
- You will continually look for opportunities to innovate and improve the visual quality and game play experience - collaborating/pushing/leading artists - and all game team disciplines where necessary - to ensure the project delivers an exemplary and memorable game vision that captures and delights our players.
- You will identify and raise any risks or issues as you find them to the Leads/Studio Art Director or Leadership Team.
- You will represent the Game Art Team and Game Vision internally and externally as needed.
- A comprehensive portfolio showing wonderful examples of your craft in different styles
- Experience leading a project or mentoring a team
- Experience in estimating/scheduling (ideally within an agile environment)
- Excellent organisational mind
- Skilled in one or more of the craft areas - knowledgeable in all
- Excellent communication skills and a positive demeanour
- Ability to understand business and product needs and ability to decipher and adhere to existing IP styles
- Excellent sensitivity and understanding of game narrative
- Able to ideate and empathise with player personas
- Able to propose art styles that suit the game narrative and design, stretch the technology and appeal to the target audience
- Experience on multiple games and ability to work across varied art styles
- Keeps up to date with visual trends in entertainment - able to reference popular and obscure cultural IP...not just games
Desirable skills / experience:
- Industry experience at multiple game/entertainment studios an advantage
- Experience building teams an advantage
- Experience with outsourced art and external contract support an advantage
- Previous experience of managing relationships with external partners
- Experience on a successful free-to-play mobile game
What we're looking for
Are you interested in creating moments that matter, for millions of players, in games that run for years?
Does the idea of working together with a friendly team of Tonics towards the common goal of making great games appeal to you?
Did we mention our out of control but totally cool sticker obsession?
We have a range of benefits at Mediatonic, including private medical care, a healthy pension scheme as well as gym discounts, childcare vouchers and free breakfast.
How to apply & really impress us
As a people first studio, our biggest priority is to hire the right person. A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about really helps to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd.
Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to an interview at Mediatonic. If you are applying for a creative role, remember a portfolio is essential. For all applications we suggest you read the job description carefully and let us know why you believe you’re the right person to take on this job.
We receive heaploads of applications, and while we do our best to respond, we can't always guarantee this.