- Lead the creation of full game design documentation for assigned projects.
- Lead analogue and digital prototyping sessions during pre-production to prove out initial vision.
- Identify and prioritize required feature specifications, set the standard for these specs, and review and sign off on all specifications from junior team members.
- Manage regular internal testing sessions on projects, both within the team and across the wider studio, and using this data to influence future design decisions.
- Have a strong understanding of product-focused industry trends to the extent you are confident leading the design and balance of the meta-systems and economies that sit behind our games.
- Create and approve high level overviews of new designs and concepts to quickly convey ideas both internally AND externally.
- Work closely with Production, Engineer and Art Leads to make project critical decisions that ensure game quality is maintained without jeopardizing the delivery of game milestones.
- Attend regular publisher calls/meetings as the key representative for the design on your project. You will be comfortable managing publisher feedback with exemplary communication skills.
- Hold the creative vision for your project, signing off on all features when they are implemented to your satisfaction.
- Report on game progress regularly and articulately to internal stakeholders (directorate), calling out areas of success and concern far enough in advance that strategic solutions can be found.
- Produce original new concepts and respond to publisher RFPs as and when dictated by studio Creative Director.
- Assist in maintaining a project backlog during production and into live-operations, agreeing priorities with product and publishers in regular stakeholder settings.
- Support the junior designers on your team, managing their responsibilities to ensure they are able to develop essential skills, teaching both by face-to-face mentoring and ensuring your work is exemplary.
- 5+ years game design experience within a studio environment.
- Strong level of spoken and written English.
- Exceptional understanding of game structure and systems.
- Exceptional ability to produce clear and workable documentation.
- Wide knowledge base of past and present games, across all genres.
- Able to communicate your ideas clearly, concisely and efficiently.
- Proficiency in Word, Powerpoint and Excel.
- Adaptable and able to quickly pick-up new skills and ways of working.
- Comfortable working closely with others and looking after creative teams.
- Experience in working in a variety of game genres.
- Passion, understanding, and experience in developing free-to-play games.
- Leading roles experience.
What we're looking for
Are you interested in creating moments that matter, for millions of players, in games that run for years?
Does the idea of working together with a friendly team of Tonics towards the common goal of making great games appeal to you?
Did we mention our out of control but totally cool sticker obsession?
How to apply & really impress us
As a people first studio, our biggest priority is to hire the right person. A cover letter that tells us a bit about you and what you’re passionate about really helps to get our attention and distinguish your application from the crowd.
Successful applications will usually have a phone chat before being invited to an interview at Mediatonic. If you are applying for a creative role, remember a portfolio is essential. For all applications we suggest you read the job description carefully and let us know why you believe you’re the right person to take on this job.
We receive heaploads of applications, and while we do our best to respond, we can't always guarantee this.